In a major change, CQ Magazine has announced that effective with the CQ WW SSB Contest at the end of October, all logs must be submitted within five days after the end of the contest, drastically shortening the time that contesters will have to electronically submit their contest entries. The announcement came from CQ WW Contest Chair Bob Cox K3EST.
"With the technology available today and the presence of the internet practically everywhere, it has been decided to reduce the log submission time for all CQ contests to five (5) days," Cox wrote.
"Reviewing the submissions from last year’s CQ WW DX contests, ~ 70% of all electronic logs were received within 7 days after the contest," Cox said, acknowledging that the five day limit might cause some heartburn for certain contesters.
"We realize that in some cases circumstances may not allow a timely submission. Requests for an extension must be received before the log submission deadline by sending an e-mail to questions at cqww.com."
[Cox initially said the first contest impacted by this new change would be CQ WW RTTY in September, but CQ Magazine Editor Rich Moseson W2VU made clear on Monday that the change would not go into effect until the 2012 CQ WW SSB Contest in October.)
The decision accelerates what had been a general move to shorten the time for log submission by major contests; in 2010, CQ WW shortened the log submission deadline to basically three weeks, while the ARRL moved its submissions in major contests to 15 days.